Skip to main content

Shopping in the Zombie Apocalypse | Digital Illustration

zombie apocalypse supply gathering


Shopping in the zombie apocalypse, this is a concept piece I did about a year ago now.  Like many people out there I also enjoy the idea of a good old fashioned zombie apocalyptic world.  It would be utterly horrifying to be faced with the idea of being eaten alive by a pack of rotting blood thirsty living dead.  But, who wouldn't want to explore the world after people?  With all the places to explore it would feel like being on a different planet.  For me it goes into that child hood fantasy of wanting to spend the night in the mall with all of the stores open and you, just for one night can do whatever you wanted too!  That would be AWESOME!  Maybe that is one of the reason I love working on environments so much.  It becomes very easy to get lost in the idea and emotions of what you are trying to have the viewer feel.


My first thought when approaching this image was thinking about simple normal parts of every day life and what those might look like in the zombie apocalypse.  We all have to go shopping so I thought, "hey what would shopping in the zombie apocalypse look like?".  The entire time working on the piece I just kept thinking about what it would actually be like to live in this world and walk around in this space.  Once that thinking was in mind everything started to fall into place fairly quickly.  One of the things to help keep pieces like this moving fast enough to keep me excited is by using photo scrap to help quickly drop in the ideas as they come and then painting over and tweaking them as the image progresses.  I used tons of photo scrap and a few 3D elements for this piece.  The body on the right side of the screen and the foreground character were 3D models I posed in DAZ Studio and painted over.  I don't really mind the stigma that comes from working in this manner since its all about enjoying the work and getting a piece finished with all the ideas in place.  When all is said and done I'm very happy with this piece.  It invokes the idea I wanted it to and thats pretty much the goal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plunder Bunny | Flash Game Character Mockups

Another collection of design/mockup sheets for a personal project.  The game was a very simple 2D platformer in the vain of Super Mario.  I got pretty far with the game but ended up getting busy with some contract work and the project feel into the ever growing abyss of personal projects.  When I get some more free time I'd like to try and re-visit it. The visuals were really fun to work on.  Inkscape was used to flesh out my initial sketches.  Each character was broken up into pieces like a paper puppet.  After Saving the pieces out at high resolution they would then be put back together in Blender 3D where they would be animated.

Level Buddy | Blender Addon

An old-school CSG inspired level editor add-on for Blender 3D. The add-on is still very much a work in progress but fairly solid for blocking spaces super quickly.  Just because graphic fidelity has gotten insanely good and hyper detailed doesn't mean we shouldn't look back how older games were put together, at least that is my opinion.  One thing I always come back to is how quickly the tools in the first 2 versions of Unreal Ed 2 and Doom level editors allowed anyone to block out a level, iterate on feedback or try an idea out.  So I just took some time to put together a similar pipeline right in my 3d package of choice.  I wanted to keep it simple and quick to try out level design ideas.  You can use it for simple white boxing of your level, break it up into multiple static meshes and import them into your game engine of choice or  you can use that as your starting point to start more detailed modeling .  When you build the map you get a single static mesh th

Data First Project

Last post I talked about a project I started using the approach of designing the data first.  It is my current pet project and one that I will keep exploring and playing with because it is so much fun.  So here are some snippets of code the show the structure of my data and some of its values. One thing you might have noticed is that I am using the JSON data structure.  JSON is a great format and pretty much every language already has a JSON parsing library so it really let me focus on the design of the data and how each piece would reference/connect to other bits of data.  Just like code you spend a good chunk of time very early on iterating your data design.  My first attempt I found that I was nesting things way more then I really needed.  Since there was no code at this point it was super easy to just move things to new sections and make large sweeping changes until everything started to make logical sense for what I wish to accomplish.  As the data structure started to grow