Skip to main content

Shopping in the Zombie Apocalypse | Digital Illustration

zombie apocalypse supply gathering


Shopping in the zombie apocalypse, this is a concept piece I did about a year ago now.  Like many people out there I also enjoy the idea of a good old fashioned zombie apocalyptic world.  It would be utterly horrifying to be faced with the idea of being eaten alive by a pack of rotting blood thirsty living dead.  But, who wouldn't want to explore the world after people?  With all the places to explore it would feel like being on a different planet.  For me it goes into that child hood fantasy of wanting to spend the night in the mall with all of the stores open and you, just for one night can do whatever you wanted too!  That would be AWESOME!  Maybe that is one of the reason I love working on environments so much.  It becomes very easy to get lost in the idea and emotions of what you are trying to have the viewer feel.


My first thought when approaching this image was thinking about simple normal parts of every day life and what those might look like in the zombie apocalypse.  We all have to go shopping so I thought, "hey what would shopping in the zombie apocalypse look like?".  The entire time working on the piece I just kept thinking about what it would actually be like to live in this world and walk around in this space.  Once that thinking was in mind everything started to fall into place fairly quickly.  One of the things to help keep pieces like this moving fast enough to keep me excited is by using photo scrap to help quickly drop in the ideas as they come and then painting over and tweaking them as the image progresses.  I used tons of photo scrap and a few 3D elements for this piece.  The body on the right side of the screen and the foreground character were 3D models I posed in DAZ Studio and painted over.  I don't really mind the stigma that comes from working in this manner since its all about enjoying the work and getting a piece finished with all the ideas in place.  When all is said and done I'm very happy with this piece.  It invokes the idea I wanted it to and thats pretty much the goal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balance

Right now I am in the throws of balancing.  Not game balance but life balancing.  At work we are currently trying to wrap up our game and so things are rather busy.  At home both my kids AND my wife's birthdays are coming up in the next couple of weeks.  So things feel rather difficult to balance properly.  I was on track to get a simple blog post every week day for almost two months but I was only able to get through last month. At first I was pretty bummed that I missed a few days and then the old habits started to kick in again so it seemed like a good time to post something to keep the juices flowing.  I doubt anyone really comes here on a regular basis, I assume most people that find their way here do so from one of my posts somewhere else.  But I'd like to spend some more time putting things here instead of scattered all over the place so I will try and keep posting things as often as I can but for the next month or so the posts might have a fe...

Level Buddy | Blender Addon

An old-school CSG inspired level editor add-on for Blender 3D. The add-on is still very much a work in progress but fairly solid for blocking spaces super quickly.  Just because graphic fidelity has gotten insanely good and hyper detailed doesn't mean we shouldn't look back how older games were put together, at least that is my opinion.  One thing I always come back to is how quickly the tools in the first 2 versions of Unreal Ed 2 and Doom level editors allowed anyone to block out a level, iterate on feedback or try an idea out.  So I just took some time to put together a similar pipeline right in my 3d package of choice.  I wanted to keep it simple and quick to try out level design ideas.  You can use it for simple white boxing of your level, break it up into multiple static meshes and import them into your game engine of choice or  you can use that as your starting point to start more detailed modeling ....

Mike Acton "Data-Oriented Design"

This video is amazing and I can't recommend it enough to anyone that is writing code.  Hearing this stuff from someone like Mike Acton should really echo the importance of what he is talking about.  The core ideas he shares here can be applied to EVERYTHING including art and design.  Do your self a favor and really watch this video preferably multiple times to really drive the ideas home.