Skip to main content

Fighting Game Engine Pre-Bloat

As we head into the wire-framing section for the game there are some areas of the data structure that I feel are a little bit bloated and kind of sloppy.  I am happy with 99% of the structure but there are still some things that I keep thinking about that I would love to add and re-organize.

One of the things that I would love to build out to be more powerful is the animation system.  Currently it is just a list of images and you cycle through them like a flip book.  But it would be much more powerful to be able to have multiple images with their own positions stored as frames.  We could even expand it out to trigger logic if we really wanted to but that is like feature creep on top of feature creep.  Changing the animation to work in this manner would not be very hard.  The part that I am mulling over right now is if I want to break the idea of splitting this up to multiple objects.  So one object that can use flip book animation and the other could use complex animation.  I can think of cases for both so I'm going to put off doing anything about it just yet.

There are also a few areas of the structure that I feel might be redundant but I am not fully sure yet.  I have a feeling that the only way I am going to get past any of these ideas and come to a conclusion is to move forward on the game.  All of the pieces to complete a complete a games wire-frame are in so  for now I will limit engine feature integration to just being notes to go over in couple of weeks after the wire-frame is in.


Popular posts from this blog

Level Buddy | Blender Addon

An old-school CSG inspired level editor add-on for Blender 3D. The add-on is still very much a work in progress but fairly solid for blocking spaces super quickly.  Just because graphic fidelity has gotten insanely good and hyper detailed doesn't mean we shouldn't look back how older games were put together, at least that is my opinion.  One thing I always come back to is how quickly the tools in the first 2 versions of Unreal Ed 2 and Doom level editors allowed anyone to block out a level, iterate on feedback or try an idea out.  So I just took some time to put together a similar pipeline right in my 3d package of choice.  I wanted to keep it simple and quick to try out level design ideas.  You can use it for simple white boxing of your level, break it up into multiple static meshes and import them into your game engine of choice or  you can use that as your starting point to start more detailed modeling .  When you build the map you get a single static mesh th

Plunder Bunny | Flash Game Character Mockups

Another collection of design/mockup sheets for a personal project.  The game was a very simple 2D platformer in the vain of Super Mario.  I got pretty far with the game but ended up getting busy with some contract work and the project feel into the ever growing abyss of personal projects.  When I get some more free time I'd like to try and re-visit it. The visuals were really fun to work on.  Inkscape was used to flesh out my initial sketches.  Each character was broken up into pieces like a paper puppet.  After Saving the pieces out at high resolution they would then be put back together in Blender 3D where they would be animated.

Landing Party Lost | 2D Pixel Art Game Screen Mockup

Mockups of a Sci-Fi Adventure Game Idea Landing Party Lost, is an idea I have been slowly kicking around.  I was watching the latest Star Trek movie and loved the look of the set where the first Klingon encounter takes place.  Then it got me thinking about Another World, also known as Out of this World.  I loved that game and have always wanted to do a game similar to it. So sat down and quickly did a rough sketch and started to build out from there.  I wanted to combine the visuals from Pitfall on the Atari but use modern per-pixel lighting.  So I brought all of the spites and 2D images into Blender 3D and started to piece a few scenes together.  From there player movement was wired up with logic bricks and a couple of python scripts to handle room transitions and sprite animation. I don't know if I will keep building upon this idea mostly because I just don't have a clear enough idea of how the game will play.  It did get me thinking about the need to really buckle