Skip to main content

On Room Enter

Over the weekend I was doing some work on the game for my son and ran into a situation where I needed to have an object start hidden from the player.  In the current pipeline with Inkscape I use python and the command line arguments to export out all of the pieces that I need.  This has been awesome for iteration and adding new things to rooms.  

The rub is that the object needs to be visible in the SVG file when it exports otherwise it exports and empty png image.

There are some ways I could get around it in the pipeline but I wanted a much more useful solution.  I opted for putting in two new functions to my logic "on_enter" and "on_exit".  Then added the execution code right before and after the main logic processing code.

On_Enter is run when a new room is entered.  I already track the current room and the last room so the logic triggers were already there now I just loop over all the logic attached to that node and I'm done.  I do the same on the other end where I run logic when a room is being exited.  The thing I like about this is that it allows me to then do all of my object setup right in the logic where it used so I don't need to jump between applications.  Art and layout are coupled into one single working environment, game logic and settings now exist in the same spot.  So everything feels very organic so far.

The idea of 'on_enter' and 'on_exit' is nothing new at all and pretty standard practice but this was by far the easiest time I have ever had in implementing it in a project.  In total it took me about 5 minutes to setup on the engine side and about 10 minutes to make the new logic nodes for the logic editor.  I attribute this to the data heavy approach I took on designing the engine.  All in all I am finding this approach is really working for me mentally.  I seem to have a much easier time reasoning about the entire project with this design approach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plunder Bunny | Flash Game Character Mockups

Another collection of design/mockup sheets for a personal project.  The game was a very simple 2D platformer in the vain of Super Mario.  I got pretty far with the game but ended up getting busy with some contract work and the project feel into the ever growing abyss of personal projects.  When I get some more free time I'd like to try and re-visit it.

The visuals were really fun to work on.  Inkscape was used to flesh out my initial sketches.  Each character was broken up into pieces like a paper puppet.  After Saving the pieces out at high resolution they would then be put back together in Blender 3D where they would be animated.

Random Level Generation

The level generation system in This Is Dungeon uses a few different ideas to produce the final levels but I'm just going to go over the first right now.  Levels are generated using the Dungeon-Building Algorithm by Mike Anderson.  This algorithm is very simple to implement and gives really good results.  The levels generate very quickly and the player is guaranteed to be able to reach every room of the level.




After playing around with the generated levels in game I started wanting to be able to break the map up into multiple sections.  Since the features are built one at a time from a previously built room I realized I could just tell the generator how many sections I wanted to break the map up into and divide that by the number of rooms it was trying to generate.  The result being the number of rooms that should go into each section.  With that info you just keep track of the rooms already built and when that number equals the number of rooms per section pick a wall tile that ca…

Mega Cow | Video Game Mockup

We All Have Crazy Game Ideas...This Is Just One Of My Own


Yup its a giant mutant cow... Using Inkscape I made this game mockup after watching some MST3K late one night.  I thought it would be fun to play a game where you were the giant creature causing all of the destruction.  That is the reason the giant cow is on the right of the screen instead of the left. The player would move through the level from the right to the left, the opposite of pretty much every scrolling game... looks good in my head but might not work in actual game play.  Below are some images showing the progression from rough sketch to final mock-up.